Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Seafoam

I saw some stuff online about Seafoam and decided to give it a try. It claims to do wonderful things for your engine like dissolve carbon deposits, clean out the fuel injectors, etc, etc, so I figured my engine with 179k miles on it could probably use some cleaning out. You're supposed to induct 1/3 of the can through the intake, pour 1/3 into your oil, and 1/3 in your gas tank. I did the intake induction today, and was too afraid to dump it in my oil so I poured the rest in my full fuel tank and rocked the car back and forth to stir it in there. There are some pretty intense Seafoam videos on YouTube (Click here), and I was a little disappointed mine didn't smoke like them, but oh well.

I ended up pulling the PCV hose of the throttle body and attaching a long piece of vaccum tube to the nipple. Then I pinched the hose and sucked in some Seafoam. I stalled the car about seven times because I sucked too much in. After I used ~1/3 of the can I stalled it for good and let it sit for 12 min. It was a little slow to turn over but it did, it smoked less than it does on a cold winter morning, haha.


I took it for a quick test drive around the block and didn't notice any huuge improvements. It might have been slightly smoother, but I can't really tell until I drive it more. Tomorrow morning starting it cold will be a good indicator. It's been stalling almost every morning after it idles down or if I put it in gear.

No comments: